(photo c.1912, from biography of Rev. Dr. Augustus Shepard, available online at archive.org)
Dr. Charles Shepard, brother of Dr. James Shepard (who founded present-day North Carolina Central University) and son of Rev. Dr. Augustus Shepard (minister of White Rock Baptist Church) was a prominent local physician who practiced at Lincoln Hospital. He built this house at 1608 Fayetteville St. in 1927; he previously lived at 406 Cozart St., close to the original Lincoln Hospital. Undoubtedly, the decision to move Lincoln Hospital influenced his decision to move to this house on Fayetteville St.