706 Ninth Street, 12.21.69
(Courtesy The Herald-Sun Newspaper)
706 Ninth Street was built in ~1936; it initially housed the Andrews Furniture Company, followed by the West Durham Furniture Company. By the early 1960s, the building appears to have been vacant, but was soon reoccupied by Custom Interiors and the Neil Upholstery Co. In 1971, Godwin Dance School became a tenant
706 Ninth St., 1980
It was followed by Sandy's School of Dance in the late 1980s.
Sometime around ?1993, Francesca's Dessert Cafe moved around the corner from Perry St. (where the business started in 1985) and remained there until 2017 when rising rents forced out the then current management. The space is now occupied by a Starbucks.
Originally, Francesca's was supposed to open on Ninth St. in 1983 when founders Merryl Sloane and Sherry Kinlaw (a lesbian couple) first started the business, but financial struggles put their vision on hold until 1985 when they opened on Perry St.
706 Ninth Street, 04.05.09
Find this spot on a Google Map.