Skip to main content
User account menu
Open mobile menu
People & Places
801 S. Alston Ave.
The history of South Alston Avenue deserves more attention than it has gotten to date; even this site seems to have looked past it about as quickly as the cars fly on NC-55. Though a north-south road through this area has deep roots and this section looks like it was incorporated into town limits by at least 1907, the east side of Alston around...
1208 Avery St.
1106 Linwood Ave.
800 Linwood Avenue – Mrs. Loraine G. Thorpe House
This one-and-a-half-story, side-gabled Cape Cod house is three bays wide and double-pile with a pair of gabled dormers on the façade and a shed-roofed dormer across the rear. County tax records date the building to 1951; the earliest known occupant is Mrs. Loraine G. Thorpe in 1955.
713 Linwood Avenue – Celesta R. Martin House
This one-and-a-half story, clipped-side-gabled house is three bays wide and triple-pile with a wide, gabled rear ell and an unfinished plywood addition beyond the ell. The earliest known occupant is Celesta R. Martin (grocer) in 1930.
712 Linwood Avenue – James J. Pinchback House
This one-story hip-roofed Ranch house is three bays wide and four-pile.The earliest known occupant is James J. Pinchback in 1960.
711 Linwood Avenue – William B. Solice House
This one-story, side-gabled Minimal Traditional house is three bays wide and four-pile with a wide, shed-roofed ell across the rear. The site slopes to the rear to reveal a partial basement. The earliest known occupant is William B. Solice in 1950.
710 Linwood Avenue – Mary Webb House
This one-story, side-gabled bungalow is three bays wide and double-pile with an offset shed-roofed ell across the rear. The earliest known occupant is Mary Webb (laundress) in 1930.
708 Linwood Avenue – James Hawkins House
This one-story, hip-roofed Ranch house is three bays wide and triple-pile. The earliest known occupant is James Hawkins (Bull City Garage) in 1950; county tax records also date the building to 1950.
706 Linwood Avenue – J. William Fortune House
This one-story, clipped-side-gabled house is three bays wide and triple-pile with an engaged front porch and a clipped-gabled dormer centered on the façade. The earliest known occupant is J. William Fortune (cook, Hotel Malbourne) in 1930.