3816 Dover Road, ca. 1928, ca. 2000, Contributing Building One-and-a-half-story side-gabled house with brick and weatherboard exterior, 6/6 sash, smaller oneand- a-half-story wing at south end of main section, two-story projecting front-gabled bay at north end of main facade, and hyphen at north end joining house to large weatherboarded front-gabled wing. This wing, apparently originally a single story building, has been raised to two stories by the addition of a sunroom below the original structure. Paul M. Gross started teaching at Trinity College, later Duke University, in 1919 as an assistant professor of chemistry; from 1920 through 1965, he was a full professor in the chemistry department. Gross chaired the chemistry department from 1920 through 1948, during Duke University’s evolution into a research institution, and later served as Dean of the Graduate School, Dean of the University, and a Vice-President in the Education Division. His work on the Frangible Bullet Project, Duke’s largest military research project, won him a Presidential Medal of Merit. The chemistry building on Science Drive at Duke University is named for him.