3437 Dover Road, ca. 1928, Contributing Building George Watts Carr, architect Two-story side-gabled Spanish Colonial Revival with stucco exterior, wood casement windows, Spanish-tile roof, projecting front-gabled wing at north end of facade, exterior end chimney at south elevation, iron balconettes, and recessed asymmetrical entry with slate surround. A low stucco wall edges the street-facing front and south side yards, stepping down towards the back of the parcel. Previous survey and research identified this as the David T. Smith House; city directories show that Smith and his wife Susan lived on Swift Avenue in the very early 1930s before moving here. Smith was a chairman of the microbiology department at Duke Hospital and established the Division of Infectious Diseases there in 1930. Claudia Brown identified this house as one of the ten George Watts Carr-designed spec houses during her 1980-1982 survey of Durham.