James and Margaret Cannon House
2812 Chelsea Circle, 1928, Contributing Building
Two-story, side-gabled, weatherboard Colonial Revival house with second story Palladian window above the one-story pedimented portico sheltering a single-leaf door with sidelights; smaller, setback two-story side-gabled wings flank main section, one-story side-gabled wing at south end has open area at exposed basement level that functions as carport; 6/6 and 8/8 sash throughout dwelling.
An advertisement for Hope Valley that ran in the November 27, 1927, Durham Morning Herald reported that construction on the house was scheduled to start in the next week, and a rendering shows the house generally as it appears today but without the wing at the south end. Instead, there is a brick garage at the basement level at the south end of the house with a sunporch on the garage roof.
A similar advertisement from January 1, 1928, states that the house was underway and expected to be ready by spring. The 1928 city directory does list professor James Cannon III, a professor at Duke University’s School of Religion, and his wife Margaret in Hope Valley; the 1938 directory is the first to show them on Chelsea Circle.