The elongated form of this Ranch house is well suited to the large lots on the west end of the district. The house is six bays wide with a projecting, front-gabled wing on the left (north) end of the façade and a side-gabled garage wing on the right (south) end. The house features a brick veneer with vertical plywood sheathing in the gables, two interior brick chimneys, and a stone veneer on the lower two-thirds of the center section of the façade with vertical wood sheathing above. It has one-over-one wood-sash windows, paired on the façade, with a diamond-shaped window at the far right end of the façade. The entrance is located on the left end of the façade, adjacent to the front-gabled wing. It is obscured by a louvered storm door, has a leaded-glass sidelight, and is sheltered by an inset porch on the right end of the front-gabled wing that is supported by decorative metal posts. A side-gabled garage wing on the right elevation features an inset bay on its left end with a brick veneer and a three-light picture window flanked by three-light casement windows. To its right, the frame wing has wood shingles, paired windows on the façade and right (south) elevation, and a basement-level overhead garage door. County tax records date the house to 1957 and the earliest known occupants are Reverend J. Neal Hughley, a minister at North Carolina College (later North Carolina Central University), and his wife, Sadie S. Hughley, a librarian at North Carolina College, in 1960. They were the parents of one son.
County deed records show that Eva L. Goins, M.A. Goins Jr. and wife, Mary C. Goins, and Elwood Goins and wife, Doris K. Goins sold the lot to J. Neal Hughley and Sadie S. Hughley on February 5, 1955. The Hughleys had their home built and moved into it in 1960. Mrs. Hughly resided in this house until approximately 1998 when Mr. Hughley died. On October 28, 2002, Mrs. Hughley transferred ownership of the home to James N. Maynard. On December 3, 2003, he sold it to Johnny D. Thornton, who sold it to Lawrence V. Sullivan and his wife, Gretchen B. Sullivan on April 5, 2004. On April 18, 2007, the house was sold to David W. Neill.
From 2002 until now, this house has been a communal residential house for men.