This one-and-a-half-story, side-gabled bungalow is two bays wide and triple-pile with a wide, front-gabled dormer centered on the façade. The house has vinyl siding, six-over-one wood-sash windows, and flush eaves on the side elevations. A replacement door on the left (south) end of the façade is sheltered by a full-width, engaged, shed-roofed porch supported by tapered wood posts on brick piers with an original matchstick railing between the piers. The gabled dormer has a group of four windows, a rectangular vent in the gable, exposed rafter tails, and knee brackets. There is an exterior brick chimney on the right (north) elevation that is flanked by small windows and to its rear is a projecting shed-roofed bay with a triple window. There is a single window in the left gable and paired windows in the right gable, each flanked by smaller four-light windows. There is a wood deck at the rear and a concrete retaining wall at the front sidewalk. County tax records date the house to 1930 and the earliest known occupant is Hattie W. Shepard in 1935.
Hattie W. Shepard was the mother of Dr. James E. Shepard, the founder of National Religious Training School and Chautauqua, later North Carolina College and eventually renamed North Carolina Central University. She was married to Reverend Augustus Shepard, the pastor of White Rock Baptist Church in Durham and co-founder of the Central Children’s Home in Oxford, NC.
According to deed and tax records, James E. Shepard and his wife, Annie DayShepard owned this lot on February 21, 1928 and transferred the title to Hattie W. Shepard on October 1. 1928. The 1932 City Directory shows Hattie Shepard as the occupant of the house.
Hattie W. Shepard died in 1947 and the house remained in the Shepard family until May 8, 2020, according to tax records, when it was sold to Zelles Real Estate Solutions, LLC on May 8, 2020. On June 16, 2020, Delta Zeta Sigma Chapter bought thehome from Zelles Real Estate Solutions, LLC according to county deed records and still owns the property.