From the National Register nomination form of 2005, completed by M. Ruth Little2 ½-story side-gabled brick Colonial Revival-style house with end chimney, 6-over-6 sash windows, and a recessed door with sidelights and a pilastered surround. The flanking lower façade windows are fixed multi-pane windows; the upper façade windows are wall dormers. At left is a 1-story sunporch, at right is a 2-story wing with a garage in the lower story. The brick has been painted. Dr. Calvin S. Hicks, physician at 123 W. Main St., was the owner-occupant in 1940. [1940 CD]
The following information comes from the City Directories and general web searching:
|1934||Jane B. Hicks *||Dr. Calvin S. Hicks *||physician||Calvin had a private practice located at 123 W. Main St.|
|1941||Dr. Susan D. (Coons) Dees||Dr. John Essary Dees||pediatrician||urologist||Susan established the Duke Hospital School for Sick Children and was the first woman to achieve the rank of full professor in Duke Medical Center. John was a surgeon of urology at Duke.|
|1999||William H. Ashplant|
|2001||Teri (Barron) Underhill||Don Lee Underhill|
|2003||Lola Clare Sullivan||Harold G. Slaughter|
* The 1940 US Census shows that Calvin (age 60) and Jane (age 43) lived with no one else. He was born in North Carolina, while she was born in New York.