One other eighteenth-century house, which stood until the 1970s, should be remembered for its rarity among dwellings of its time in Orange County - Tyree Harris' Brick House. Probably built in the 1760s, it was about 20 feet square, of half-timbered construction with the exception of the rear chimney wall, which was entirely of brick; within, it had one room downstairs and one upstairs, though it later acquired an addition. Bennehan bought the brick house from Harris in 1776 and moved there with his bride after adding some outbuildings and repairing others, but he made no alterations in the house. He called the place Mount Union because of its location at the confluence of the Eno and Flat rivers.
(From Jean Anderson's Durham County)
Add new commentLog in or register to post comments.