This one-story, gable-and-wing Queen Anne house is three-bays wide and double pile with a gabled ell extending from the right rear of the house and a second gable extending the front facing gable to the rear. The front gable of the house features a canted bay with windows on all three sides. A hip-roofed front porch extends the length of the wing and projects slightly over the entrance stair. The porch is supported by tapered wood posts on brick piers and has an original railing running between the piers and brick knee walls at the stair. The house retains much of its original fabric including wood weatherboards and molding, imbricated shingles and a decorative vent in the front gable, wood cornerboards, soffits, fascia boards and partial cornice returns. Windows are two-over-two throughout and the front door has been replaced with a modern metal door, but retains a fifteen-light over single-panel sidelight. A low, concrete retaining wall extends across the front of the site. The earliest known resident is Thomas E. Rigsbee (farmer) in 1905. Rigsbee changed professions (to carpenter in 1907 and salesman in 1911), but remained in the house through at least 1920.
Add new commentLog in or register to post comments.