Mrs. N. E. Ross House – c. 1919
This two-story, hip-roofed Craftsman house is three-bays wide and triple pile with a one-story hip-roofed projecting bay on the left side and a one-story, hip-roofed screened porch at the left rear. The house has a full-width, hip-roofed porch supported by tapered wood posts on brick piers. A hip-roofed dormer is centered on the façade and has a pair of three-light, Craftsman casement windows. The house retains original wood weatherboards throughout, three-over-one Craftsman windows, and a wide overhanging roof with exposed rafters. The front door is a fifteen-light French door with matching ten-light sidelights. The house has a stuccoed brick foundation, two interior brick chimneys, and an exterior brick chimney on the rear elevation. The house sits on a large lot on the southwest corner of Maplewood and Burch, set back from the street on a slight rise. The earliest known occupant is Mrs. N. E. Ross, widow of C.G. Ross, in 1919 and through at least 1940 city directories list the street as Ross Street, named for her family. Later the street was renamed for nearby Maplewood Cemetery. The house was also featured prominently in the 1997 film Kiss the Girls.
Add new commentLog in or register to post comments.