1999 (DC tax photo)
(Below in italics is from the 1984 National Register listing; not verified for accuracy by this author.)
This large, one-and-one-half-story frame house is one of the few bungalows in Durham with strong craftsman influences appearing on the interior as well as the exterior. Sheathed in split shake shingles, the exterior features typical exposed rafter ends, deep eaves and engaged porch. Interior may have been inspired by one of Gustav Stickley's manuals for craftsmen or bungalow houses as the living room is highlighted by an inglenook in front of the fireplace. Earliest recorded occupant was grocer T.A.Graham who resided here as early as 1915. By 1925, the house was owned by Dallas w. Newsom, real estate and insurance agent, president of Durham Book and Stationery Company, and treasurer and registrar of Trinity College. Subsequent to Newsom's disposal of the house in 1930, it was used by Dr. Lyla G. Smith as one of Dr. Walter Kempner's satellite houses for rice diet patients. The house retains the institutional kitchen installed for the rice house.