Harold and Voricia Silent House
3304 Devon Road, ca. 1939, Contributing Building
The otherwise modest one-story side-gabled Ranch house features a combination of board-and-batten siding and weatherboards with mitered corners; entrance recessed between two projecting front-gabled wings; 2/2 horizontal sash; side-gabled garage wing at the east elevation. Durham city records date the house to 1939, although an owner or resident could not be definitively identified before 1944. According to city directories, Harold and Voricia Silent began living here in that year; Harold C. Silent worked at Duke University.
This house underwent an extensive sympathetic renovation which qualified it for National Register State Tax Credits. Of special interest was the kitchen renovation which largely reused and adapted the original componets and trim from the home.