East Chapel Hill Street was called "Green Street" as it first existed - named after John Ruffin Green, who is well known for his part in the famous soliders-at-the-bennett-place-raid-the-tobacco-warehouse story of how brightleaf tobacco was spread around the country. (It was his factory.) At the time, (1865) Green owned a large area of land on the north side of his eponymous street, west of what would become Morris Street. His house was located at the intersection of Green Street and Peabody Street (north side,) next to the railroad tracks. Southwest of Peabody St. / the Hillbsorough Road / RR tracks, Green's land extended - known as Green Woods.
The road remained Green Street until sometime between 1898 and 1902, when it was renamed East Chapel Hill Street (east of Five Points) and West Chapel Hill Street (west of Five Points.) It remains the only street in downtown Durham to have its east-west division at Five Points rather than at Mangum Street.