Cora Street

Also known as Cora Place, the one-block street connecting McMannen (South Mangum) and Pine (South Roxboro) streets was originally called Hughes Street. Jim Wise speculates that the street may have been named after W.R. Hughes, a Durham tobacco manufacturer c. 1870-1881. The name had been changed to Cora by 1887; most likely the name of a wealthy guy's daughter, but the source is unknown.

Cora Street was eliminated during Urban Renewal, and the Dillard Street extension was created just to the south (and parallel) to its former path.

/sites/default/files/images/2008_8/118Cora.jpg
Added: Mon, 09/19/2011 - 10:53am
By: gary
/sites/default/files/images/2008_8/118CoraSt.jpg
Added: Mon, 09/19/2011 - 10:50am
By: gary
/sites/default/files/images/2008_8/116CoraSt.jpg
Added: Mon, 09/19/2011 - 10:47am
By: gary
/sites/default/files/images/2008_8/114Cora.jpg
Added: Mon, 09/19/2011 - 10:45am
By: gary
/sites/default/files/images/2008_8/112Cora.jpg
Added: Mon, 09/19/2011 - 10:42am
By: gary
/sites/default/files/images/2008_8/110Cora.jpg
Added: Mon, 09/19/2011 - 10:39am
By: gary
/sites/default/files/images/2008_8/122Cora_Roxboro_Poplar.jpg
Added: Thu, 08/21/2008 - 4:00am
By: gary
/sites/default/files/images/2007_5/McMannenStreet_1881.jpg
Added: Mon, 06/18/2007 - 8:03am
By: gary