Banks Alley

Per History Beneath Our Feet:

An African-American family named Banks, owning property in the area later called Hayti, appears on the 1868 voter registry for the Durham Precinct of Orange County. Siblings Abner and Judy Banks were slaves on the Cameron plantation north of Durham's Station; an Abner Banks (presumably the same one) also owned land in the present-day Morehead Hill area and laid out a Banks Street between and parallel to Duke Street and Vickers Avenue. The alley, built over during urban renewal and no longer in existence, ran one block east from Fayetteville Street.

510Banks_1062.jpg
510 BANKS ALLEY (building)
Added: Tue, 11/08/2011 - 1:37pm
By: gary
/sites/default/files/images/2008_11/1003Fayetteville_1962.jpg
Added: Mon, 09/19/2011 - 4:50pm
/sites/default/files/images/2008_11/1005Fayetteville_1962.jpg
Added: Wed, 11/19/2008 - 5:08am
By: gary