Banks Alley

Per History Beneath Our Feet:

An African-American family named Banks, owning property in the area later called Hayti, appears on the 1868 voter registry for the Durham Precinct of Orange County. Siblings Abner and Judy Banks were slaves on the Cameron plantation north of Durham's Station; an Abner Banks (presumably the same one) also owned land in the present-day Morehead Hill area and laid out a Banks Street between and parallel to Duke Street and Vickers Avenue. The alley, built over during urban renewal and no longer in existence, ran one block east from Fayetteville Street.

918Whitted_1062.jpg
Added: Tue, 11/08/2011 - 6:42pm
By: gary
519Banks_1062.jpg
519 BANKS ALLEY (building)
Added: Tue, 11/08/2011 - 3:46pm
By: gary
517Banks_1062.jpg
517 BANKS ALLEY (building)
Added: Tue, 11/08/2011 - 3:44pm
By: gary
515Banks_1062.jpg
515 BANKS ALLEY (building)
Added: Tue, 11/08/2011 - 3:43pm
By: gary
513Banks_1062.jpg
513 BANKS ALLEY (building)
Added: Tue, 11/08/2011 - 3:42pm
By: gary
511Banks_1062.jpg
511 BANKS ALLEY (building)
Added: Tue, 11/08/2011 - 3:40pm
By: gary
509Banks_1062.jpg
509 BANKS ALLEY (building)
Added: Tue, 11/08/2011 - 3:37pm
By: gary
1004Whitted_1062.jpg
Added: Tue, 11/08/2011 - 2:10pm
By: gary
514Banks_1062.jpg
514 BANKS ALLEY (building)
Added: Tue, 11/08/2011 - 1:41pm
By: gary
512Banks_1062.jpg
512 BANKS ALLEY (building)
Added: Tue, 11/08/2011 - 1:38pm
By: gary