Per the Old West Durham website a Pentecostal mission was established in West Durham in 1911. The group met in the home of CE Cates, located on Gin St. For the next nine years, the group used the SW Avery home on 15th St., "a hall" on 9th St., and AW Utley's home on 13th (Bolton) St.
In 1920, a location at Oakland and Alabama Aves. was identified, and a small white frame church with a tin roof was built at the site.
The church grew in popularity; in 1941 Rev. DD Freeman became well-known for a radio program that aired Sunday mornings on WDNC.
(Courtesy Old West Durham)
By 1945, he departed to do missionary work in Africa and was replaced by Rev. Kenneth Dantzler, who began the building campaign that resulted in the opening of the church's current sanctuary in 1945.