BLACKWELL MARKHAM HOUSE/ 506 CLEVELAND

/sites/default/files/images/2006_8/BwellMarkham_SE_092766.jpeg/sites/default/files/images/2006_8/BwellMarkham_NfrmPorch_092766.jpeg/sites/default/files/images/2006_8/506Cleveland_1966.jpeg

BLACKWELL MARKHAM HOUSE/ 506 CLEVELAND

506
,
Durham
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1890-1910
/ Demolished in
1960s-1970s
People: 
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
Neighborhood: 
Type: 
Use: 

Dr. Blackwell Markham's house once stood at the southeast corner of Cleveland and Seminary streets, one of three Markham houses along the street. 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

  • Sun, 10/08/2017 - 10:27pm by gary

Location

United States
35° 59' 50.0784" N, 78° 53' 48.0264" W
US

Comments

506
,
Durham
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1890-1910
/ Demolished in
1960s-1970s
People: 
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
Neighborhood: 
Type: 
Use: 

 

Dr. Blackwell Markham's house once stood at the southeast corner of Cleveland and Seminary streets, one of three Markham houses along the street.


Looking southeast from close to the corner of Seminary and Cleveland, 09.27.66
(Courtesy Herald-Sun)


Looking north from the front porch, 09.27.66
(Courtesy Herald-Sun)

You can also see a view of the house in the H. Lee Waters films of Durham, viewable at the entry for the First Baptist Church (Cleveland St.)

It was torn down in the late 1960s as part of the city/Federal Urban Renewal program, and promptly became a parking lot for the First Baptist Church.


506 Cleveland St., 1966 Urban Renewal appraisal photo
(Courtesy Durham County Library)

2006 (G. Kueber)

Add new comment