713-717 FAYETTEVILLE

/sites/default/files/images/2008_10/715-717Fayetteville_1965.jpg/sites/default/files/images/2008_10/715-717Fayetteville_color_1965.jpg/sites/default/files/images/2008_10/715-717Fayetteville_100508.jpg

713-717 FAYETTEVILLE

713-717
,
Durham
NC
Built in
~1930
/ Demolished in
1972-1977
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
Neighborhood: 
Type: 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

  • Wed, 01/02/2013 - 2:44pm by gary

Comments

713-717
,
Durham
NC
Built in
~1930
/ Demolished in
1972-1977
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
Neighborhood: 
Type: 

 


713, 715, 717 Fayetteville St., 1962.
(Courtesy Durham County Library / North Carolina Collection)

The multi-bay commercial structure at 713-717 Fayetteville St. appears to have been built circa 1930. By the mid 1930s, 713 housed Max Zuckerman's meat market, 715 William Boykin's tailor shop, and 717 the Carolina Barber Shop.
By 1941, 713 had changed to College View Shoe Repair, which became Hayti Shoe Repair by the 1950s, and the H&H Sport Shop by 1957 and the Palms Beauty Salon by 1959. Boykin's at 715 had become Boykin and Roberts' by 1959 as well. By 1968, 713 was the Modern Beauty Salon, and 717 was vacant. It appears to have had another tenant, briefly after that (Fowlers Barber Shop?)


Circa 1970.
(Courtesy Durham County Library / North Carolina Collection)

This structure was torn down ~1972. It is now the entry to 'Withers Court' - a cul-de-sac of sorts built during the 1980s.


Site of 713-717 Fayetteville, 10.05.08

Find this spot on a Google Map.

35.985906,-78.897487

Add new comment