509 Carlton Street, 1980
This two-story, Colonial Revival-style house is three bays wide and double-pile with a hipped roof and gabled dormers centered on each elevation. The house has a stuccoed brick foundation and is sheathed in wood weatherboards with wide friezeboards and an asphalt-shingled roof. The house has one-over-one replacement windows with original wood surrounds and pointed-arched lintels, some with original scrollwork. Palladian gable vents have replaced the original Palladian windows in each gable. The one-story front porch has a hipped roof with a shallow center gable. The gable has vertical, plywood sheathing and the porch is supported by original, square columns with replacement wooden rails. The main entrance has two front doors (both replacements) under a shared lintel and three-part transom. The two doors likely replaced a single front door with sidelights like that at 601 Carlton Avenue. There is a one-story, hip-roofed addition off the rear of the building with materials matching the main block of the house. The house is identical to the house next door at 511 Carlton Avenue and both were renovated in the early 2000s.
City directories list Dr. Needham P. Boddie (physician) as the resident from 1929 to 1939.
Vintage C-H, with sneakers over utility lines, 09.30.07