(Old North Durham Architecture Slides, Durham County Library)
(Below in italics is from the National Register listing; not verified for accuracy by this author.)
Elegant fluted columns with Corinthian capitals, obscured by the porch awnings, adorn this otherwise modest two story L-shaped clapboard frame house. According to long-time neighborhood resi- dents, the house was constructed in the 1920s by w.H. Smith, a railroad agent. In 1938, Walter Ives, a bookkeeper at Liggett & Myers, and father of the present owner, purchased the house from the Durham Investment Company. Shortly thereafter, Ives began boarding Kempner Rice Diet patients here.