314 W. TRINITY AVE.

314WTrinity_1981.jpg314WTrinity_2_1981.jpgCQ102517.JPG

314 W. TRINITY AVE.

Architectural style:

Comments

• Submitted by JKIMBRELL on Monday, December 10, 2012 - 12:25pm

Gary,

Thanks for posting this home.  My grandparents purchased this home in May 1937.  My grandfather died in 1948, and my grandmother lived there until her death in January 1975.  I believe that in the above picture, the house still has the screen door with the letter "K".  What is interesting, is that even a few years ago the house still had on the front the numbers 314 with a palm tree made of metal.  My grandmother put this on the house 60 years ago. I can't believe it has survived that long.  I always wanted to ask the owners if they ever get rid of it, let me know first.

I believe that the lot this house stood on belong to B L Duke.  T D Wright, and wife purchased this lot and others in August 1929.  I am not sure who built the house, or who lived there before 1937.  I f you have any information it will be greatly appreciated.

I have numerous pictures inside and out of this house throughout the years my grandparents lived there.  If it is appriopate, I would like to share a few these pictures.

Thanks again for bringing back Durham's wonderful history!

JE Kimbrell

• Submitted by gary on Monday, December 10, 2012 - 9:43pm

Thanks so much for adding this history! It's wonderful. I'd love it if you would add your pictures, either to the post itself, or in the comments.

Gary

• Submitted by JKIMBRELL on Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 12:32pm

Correction!

My grandparents purchased it in June 1936.

• Submitted by Ian on Friday, April 5, 2013 - 5:14am

We've been renting 314 for almost two years now - I can confirm the palm tree sign is still there, though the door is now solid wood and painted red!

• Submitted by Jay Kimbrell on Friday, April 12, 2013 - 8:52am

Wow! I can't believe it is still on the house. I always enjoyed visiting in that house. Is there still a working sink in one of the upstairs closet? I am going to put some pics up of the house sometime. Thanks for confirming that the palm tree still exists!

• Submitted by Ian on Monday, April 22, 2013 - 7:51am

I think the upstairs sink has been removed, though we do seem to have another one downstairs by the side of the kitchen which could have come from there.

• Submitted by Dante Noto on Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 6:23pm

I lived in this home with my partner in the 1980s and 1990s. We did a gut restoration of the house down to the rafters and completely rebuilt the kitchen, added the downstairs bath, and lots more. There were sinks EVERYWHERE in that house! I was under the impression that Duke students had lived in that house earlier in its life. We purchased the house from the estate of the owner, who died while beginning renovations. There was a great vintage black Porsche in the garage that we didn't keep. We paid something like $57K for the house and did all of the renovations on a $20K construction loan budget; each phase of the renovation had to be approved by the bank and then they would release payment.

• Submitted by Dante Noto on Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 6:29pm

Oh, and I loved the palm tree sign! It was one of my favorite things. We sold the house going on about twenty years ago now.

• Submitted by JKIMBRELL on Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 8:04am

Walter K Greene - 1929 - Seems to have been the first to occupy this house.  He was a prominent figure at Duke University.  Professor of English, then later becoming a dean of undergraduate instruction from 1928 to 1942. Became president of Wofford College.

John B Taggart family - 1931 - City directory includes his wife, Virginia C, and children:John C., Mary E., Robert A.

Carl M Voyles - 1932-1933 - Assistant Physical Directory at Duke University, which I believe he was an assistant football coach for Duke from 1931 to 1938.

Kenneth E Henderson - 1934 - Supervisor at Liggett & Myers Tobacco Co., along with his wife, Olivia W.

Kimbrells, Horace W., Helen M., and Jay E. - My grandparents and father.  1936 - 1975. Furniture executive.

• Tue, 12/11/2012 - 5:32pm by gary

United States
US

Comments

Architectural style:

314WTrinity_1981.jpg

1981

314WTrinity_2_1981.jpg

1981

CQ102517.JPG

1990's

Comments

Gary,

Thanks again for bringing back Durham's wonderful history!

JE Kimbrell

Gary

Correction!

My grandparents purchased it in June 1936.