Edmund Burke Hopson house

DSCN4109.JPGDSCN4112.JPGDSCN4113.JPGDSCN4114.JPGDSCN4115.JPG

Edmund Burke Hopson house

1915
/ Demolished in
2012
Architectural style:

This was the home of Edmund Burke Hopson and his wife Eula O'Bryant Hopson. They passed away in 1967 and 1965 respectively.  The property, which extended from S. Alston Ave. to T.W. Alexander Dr. was sold to Sumitomo Electric in 1983. In 2008, the 40 acres along S. Alston Ave. was sold to Southeastern Freight Lines of South Carolina.  Many assumed the house was gone until the land was cleared in October of 2012. The house is to be demolished in mid November, 2012 to make way for the new Southeastern Freight Lines Terminal.

Comments

• Submitted by gary on Sunday, November 11, 2012 - 5:00pm

Do you have a picture of the house?

• Submitted by pkimw01 on Sunday, November 11, 2012 - 9:24pm

Yes.  I was having trouble getting them downsized, but hopefully they will be okay now.

• Submitted by gary on Sunday, November 11, 2012 - 10:02pm

This is great - thanks for adding this. Under "Location," could you click to put a pin on the map exactly where this is? I can't tell from the Google aerial.

• Submitted by gary on Sunday, November 11, 2012 - 10:46pm

Ok - think I found it on the county aerials.

• Submitted by Kim on Sunday, November 11, 2012 - 11:09pm

You've got the location right. Thanks.... I'd done that, but it must have gotten lost with my changes.

• Submitted by Avius Quovis on Thursday, November 15, 2012 - 1:04pm

I found this place while walking through the woods back in 2009. I was amazed at what good shape it was in for having been abandoned for so long. There were catalogs from the 1960s in the living room and jars in the cupboards. I'm really sad to see it go.

I've got some shots from before the forest was cleared, I'll see if I can round them up.

• Submitted by Durhamite on Thursday, November 15, 2012 - 8:11pm

Thanks, pkimw01 for the images. Are there any interior pictures of the place? I would have had to stick my head (and camera) inside...but you are probably a nice person and didn't do so :-)

• Submitted by Avius Quovis on Friday, November 16, 2012 - 9:35pm

I am a very nice person... and that did not in any way prevent me from taking a little self-guided tour! It was pretty obvious that this place had not been lived in for a very long time. These are all from 2009-10, when the encroaching forest was intact. There are more in my flickr set here: flickr dot com/photos/avius/sets/72157622075727734/

PICT1249exterior.JPG

IMG_3282.JPG

PICT0758.JPG

PICT0828.JPG

There were still some jars with recognizable food inside.

PICT0859.JPG

One of the few places where the water had gotten in; I think a wood-burning stove was in this corner of the kitchen:

PICT1227.JPG

PICT0865.JPG

One of the bedrooms, with papers and clothing strewn all over:

PICT1222.JPG

Some local WWII propaganda that was in the pile of debris above:

PICT1236.JPG

• Submitted by gary on Friday, November 16, 2012 - 9:54pm

Wow - those are fantastic. Thanks so much for adding them.

• Submitted by Durhamite on Saturday, November 17, 2012 - 10:19am

I do think you are nice pkimw01...and an awesome photographer. Thanks for the images!

• Submitted by Kim on Saturday, November 17, 2012 - 10:43am

Great pictures. I took 55 pictures of this house, inside, outside, property and out buildings. I wasn't sure if there was a limit. I'll upload more. I'm working on getting a picture of this house when the Hopsons lived there. There aren't many old empty houses between Lowe's Grove, Apex, Hwy 55 and Jordan Lake that I haven't been in. I've been taking pictures and trying to stay ahead of the developers tearing down the old houses for the last 10 years or so.

• Submitted by Avius Quovis on Sunday, November 18, 2012 - 1:43pm

Thanks! It's not often I have much to contribute here, since most of the things I find have already been more extensively documented already. Happy to help!

• Submitted by pkimw01 on Sunday, November 18, 2012 - 11:45pm

Old outhouse.

DSCN4145_0.JPG

DSCN4120.JPG

Front left support

DSCN4121.JPG

Corner of tobacco barn

corner of tobacco barn.JPG

DSCN4119.JPG

Wagon wheel used to support central back porch

DSCN4130.JPG

Looking east from the rear of the house, Sumitomo Electric on T.W. Alexander Drive can

be seen on the adjoining tract of land.

264.JPG

• Submitted by me on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - 8:56pm

All things considered, the house is in incredibly intact condition! Even the curtains haven't become tattered, even with no glass left in the windows, etc!
    No one lived there in 45 years! Incredible. Must have been a well built house if it survived so well.

• Submitted by Durhamite on Thursday, December 20, 2012 - 4:55pm

Looking back again at how neat this house is. Some of the pictures have a Grant Wood-American Gothic flavor; the front gable with its stepped windows is reminiscent of the painting's lancet window.

• Submitted by josh on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 1:37pm

I drive down S. Alston many days on my way to work, past the Southeastern Freight terminal that must be where this beautiful home once stood.  Thanks for the great photos of this house. Does anyone have more information about Lowes Grove? Was it part of Durham or a separate town?

• Tue, 11/27/2012 - 7:16pm by pkimw01

United States
US

Comments

1915
/ Demolished in
2012
Architectural style:

This was the home of Edmund Burke Hopson and his wife Eula O'Briant Hopson. They passed away in 1967 and 1965 respectively.  The property, which extended from S. Alston Ave. to T.W. Alexander Dr. was sold to Sumitomo Electric in 1983. In 2008, the 40 acres along S. Alston Ave. was sold to Southeastern Freight Lines of South Carolina.  Many assumed the house was gone until the land was cleared in October of 2012. The house is to be demolished in mid November, 2012 to make way for the new Southeastern Freight Lines Terminal.

DSCN4109.JPG

DSCN4112.JPG

DSCN4113.JPG

DSCN4114.JPG

DSCN4115.JPG

DSCN4116.JPG

DSCN4117.JPG

DSCN4119.JPG

DSCN4120.JPG

DSCN4121.JPG

DSCN4130.JPG

DSCN4140.JPG

DSCN4145.JPG

corner of tobacco barn.JPG

Comments

Do you have a picture of the house?

Ok - think I found it on the county aerials.

PICT1249exterior.JPG

IMG_3282.JPG

PICT0758.JPG

PICT0828.JPG

There were still some jars with recognizable food inside.

PICT0859.JPG

PICT1227.JPG

PICT0865.JPG

One of the bedrooms, with papers and clothing strewn all over:

PICT1222.JPG

Some local WWII propaganda that was in the pile of debris above:

PICT1236.JPG

Wow - those are fantastic. Thanks so much for adding them.

Old outhouse.

DSCN4145_0.JPG

DSCN4120.JPG

Front left support

DSCN4121.JPG

Corner of tobacco barn

corner of tobacco barn.JPG

DSCN4119.JPG

Wagon wheel used to support central back porch

DSCN4130.JPG

be seen on the adjoining tract of land.

264.JPG