514 EAST UMSTEAD STREET – MATILDA TOWNSEND HOUSE
This one-story, hip-roofed house is three bays wide and triple-pile with a hip-roofed rear ell on the southwest corner and series of shed-roofed rear additions east of the ell. The earliest known occupant is Matilda Townsend (maid) in 1925. According to her obituary, she was employed by Professor C. W. Toms and later Mrs. J. A. Buchanan. Townsend remained in the house until her death in 1965.